Yesterday we shot a promo video for our next project which we will announce on January 3. It was the first time we were shooting video with our new Nikon D7000 and new microphone systems. It was also the first time we shot in another location besides the gallery.
There are lots of busy days ahead and we look forward to sharing them with you, starting on January 3.
Today we decided which of our 365 Project images we were going to add to our 365 Collection already on the walls in our gallery. The process of picking out images to have printed as canvases…or even large traditional prints is more complicated than you’d think.
With 730 photos to choose from, we narrowed down the possibilities by not only considering OUR favorite images from 2010, but the ones our customers seemed to have the greatest response to. We also had to think about how well the image would sell – even if we didn’t sell the actual canvas, would having a larger version of it on the wall promote sales of a smaller version? Is it a photo that would be easy to decoratewith? What size is appropriate for the image? These are some of the questions we have to ask ourselves.
Once we have the options narrowed down, we make test print files to print on our Epson 2200 in the gallery. This step is required to ensure we like the tones and values of the image before we send the files to our printer, Greg Dunn.
Once we have approved all the test prints, we upload the largest version of the image file to Greg and follow up with email instructions for him on the size and type of prints we need.
For this particular project, we are doing dry-mounted canvases which require framing. We are once again working with Andy Thomas, owner of Artist Market, on the framing. Andy knows us well and understands our customer base so we have complete confidence in giving him full creative license with the framing of these pieces. We delivered the test prints to his shop so he cour begin to make his frame choices before receiving the actual canvases.
We plan to have the new pieces displayed in the gallery by April 27th. Here is a preview of our choices.
I love my job. Taking photos is about 5 percent of what I do on a weekly basis at work. The other 95 percent is actually just as cool and fun. I get to talk to new people every day and find out about their lives. I also get to use the creative marketing side of my brain and that is a blast. I am blessed to have a great team of co-workers and I get to work with my dad every day as well. Life is good!
Tomorrow our new book 365 – A Year in the Photographic Lives of Todd and Brad Reed starts printing at Friesens Corporation in Manitoba, Canada. Printing takes several days, then the pages need to dry before they’re bound together and the hardcover is attached. The whole printing process takes 2 to 3 weeks. Our books will then be boxed up and put on a truck to Ludington.
In about four weeks, after over 15 months of waiting, we will finally see the finished product of the 365 Project in our hands. Then Todd and Brad will have the task of signing 1000 copies of the book. Meanwhile Sarah, Rachel, and the other gallery employees will work to ensure the shipping and pick-up process go as smooth as possible.